The Arts and Crafts movement began in England during the second half of the nineteenth century. It was a reaction to industrialization and mass-production, and as such it emphasized hand made items and craftsmanship. The most famous name of this first phase of the Arts and Crafts era is William Morris. Another well-known name is Charles Rennie Mackintosh. As the Arts and Crafts influence spread to America, much of the style was simplified until it became what is often known as the Craftsman style, after Gustav Stickley's Craftsman magazine. "Mission" is another name for this style, though "Mission" is often confused with Southwest style, so "Craftsman" may be a clearer term to use. Arts and Crafts Periods and Movements Art History Arts.
The Arts and Crafts movement was an international movement in the decorative and fine arts that began in Britain and flourished in Europe and North America between 1880 and 1910, emerging in Japan in the 1920s. (wikipedia)
- Arts and crafts Any of a wide variety of types of work where useful and decorative objects are made completely by...
- Arts & Crafts Productions A music-focused media and artist services company that offers information as an independent...
- Mark A. Landis An American painter who lives in Laurel, Mississippi.
- Listings Artsncrafts.com www
Listings of auctions and in-store items as well as modern craftspeople specializing in this style. Artsncrafts.com.
- Example The Gamble House www
Example of American Arts and Crafts architecture, Gamble House, designed by Charles and Henry Greene in 1908. History, biographies of the architects, virtual tour and visitor information. The Gamble House.
- History The Arts and Crafts Movement in Great Britain www
History of the movement, Arts and Crafts Movement in Great Britain, founders, branches, information for collectors. The Arts and Crafts Movement in Great Britain.
- The Craftsman Farms www
The Gustav Stickley Museum and center for the study of the American Arts and Crafts movement in Parsippany, Farms, New Jersey. Craftsman Farms.
- Anthology Founders Of The Arts & Crafts Movement www
Anthology of writings on interior design by William Morris and his contemporaries; information about the early years of the movement in England and America. Founders Of The Arts & Crafts Movement.
- Archives Arts & Crafts Society www
Archives and photos, & Crafts Society, books, classifieds, and a discussion forum. Arts and Crafts links. Arts & Crafts Society.
- Features P22 Type Foundry www
Features many font sets based on original Arts and Crafts designs including Dard Hunter and Frank Lloyd Wright. P22 Type Foundry.
- Bungalow American Bungalow Magazine www
Bungalow and other Craftsman-style exterior and interior design publication. American Bungalow Magazine.
- The The Roycrofters www
The Roycroft handicraft community of East Aurora, Roycrofters, NY, and its founder, Elbert Hubbard. Events, forums, and desktop themes. The Roycrofters.
- Online Craftsman Style www
Online version of Gustav Stickley's "Craftsman Homes". Craftsman Style.
- Description Art Nouveau at Artchive www
Description of Art Nouveau movement with links to information about Gustav Klimt, Nouveau at Artchive, Aubrey Beardsley, and Alphonse Mucha. Art Nouveau at Artchive.
- Information Anatomy of an Exhibition - Art Nouveau, 1890-1914 www
Information about the development of the National Gallery's well known exhibit. Anatomy of an Exhibition - Art Nouveau, 1890-1914.
- Images Arts and Crafts Architecture www
Images and information on US Arts and Crafts buildings and their architects from Cupola. Arts and Crafts Architecture.
- Emery The Emery Walker Trust www
Emery Walker was a leading figure in the Arts and Crafts movement in Britain, Emery Walker Trust, The Art Workers' Guild and The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. Biography and illustrated description of his house and its collections. The Emery Walker Trust.
- Comprehensive Olga's Gallery: Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones www
Comprehensive collection of the images of Burne-Jones's works with biography and historical comments. Olga's Gallery: Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones.
- Extensive OCAIW: Sir Edward Coley Burne Jones www
Extensive set of links to paintings available online. OCAIW: Sir Edward Coley Burne Jones.
- Artist's Walter Crane and the Rhetoric of Art www
Artist's extensive biography centered on his persuasive eloquence. Walter Crane and the Rhetoric of Art.
- Photos Find A Grave - Walter Crane (1845 - 1915) www
Photos from Golders Green, Grave - Walter Crane (1845 - 1915), England. Find A Grave - Walter Crane (1845 - 1915).
- Gill's Davidson Galleries www
Gill's gallery. Davidson Galleries.
- Critique Eric Gill got it wrong; a re-evaluation of Gill Sans www
Critique article presenting Gill Sans typeface and the idiosyncrasies of its creation from a contemporary perspective. Eric Gill got it wrong; a re-evaluation of Gill Sans.
- The Gamble House www
The masterpiece of the Arts and Crafts Movement in America, House, designed by Charles and Henry Greene for David Gamble. Photographs, drawing, description and visitor information, from Pasadena City Center. Gamble House.
- Extensive Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene www
Extensive list by Tim May of current buildings and demolished buildings designed by the Greene brothers. Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene.
- BBC Centurions www
BBC Radio 3 Centurions will feature 100 of the humanities hit makers of the twentieth century. Centurions.
- Concise Art Movements Directory www
Concise reference guide to the major art movements and periods, Movements Directory, view by name or date. Art Movements Directory.
- Alexa: Arts and Crafts Periods and Movements
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Arts and Crafts Periods and Movements
- DMOZ: Arts and Crafts Periods and Movements
dmoz.org Directory: Arts and Crafts Periods and Movements