Classics is the study and appreciation of the culture and wisdom of antiquity, in language, literature, philosophy, history, and related humanities. This section includes links to resources and organizations of classicists, English translations of works in ancient Greek and Latin, and crosslinks to related ODP subjects. Classical Studies Arts.
Classics or classical studies is the study of classical antiquity. This covers the ancient Mediterranean world, particularly ancient Greece and Rome. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Classics or classical studies is the study of classical antiquity. It encompasses the study of the Greco-Roman world, particularly of its languages and literature but also of Greco-Roman philosophy, history, and archaeology. Traditionally in the West, the study of the Greek and Roman classics was considered one of the cornerstones of the humanities and a necessary part of a rounded education. The study of Classics has been traditionally a cornerstone of a typical elite education.
- Classical tradition - The Western classical tradition is the reception of classical Greco-Roman antiquity by later cultures, especially the post-classical West, involving texts, imagery, objects, ideas, institutions, monuments, architecture, cultural artifacts, rituals, practices, and sayings.
- Outline of classical studies - Classical studies ? earliest branch of the humanities, which covers the languages, literature, history, art, and other cultural aspects of the ancient Mediterranean world.
- Outline of ancient Greece - Ancient Greece ? period of Greek history lasting from the Greek Dark Ages ca. 1100 BC and the Dorian invasion, to 146 BC and the Roman conquest of Greece after the Battle of Corinth.
- Outline of ancient Rome - The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to ancient Rome: Ancient Rome ? former civilization that thrived on the Italian Peninsula as early as the 8th century BC. Located along the Mediterranean Sea and centered on the city of Rome, it expanded to become one of the...
- Study of ancient Rome
- Classical studies
- Ancient Greece
- Searchable Leuven Database of Ancient Books (LDAB) www
Searchable database aiming to catalog all ancient literary texts with information including a description of the text, Database of Ancient Books (LDAB), language, medium, authors, current location, and plates. Sponsored by the Catholic University of Leuven. Leuven Database of Ancient Books (LDAB).
- A Greek and Latin Language Resources www
A collection of Classics links from a Graeco-Roman Neo-pagan site. Greek and Latin Language Resources.
- Lists Shakespeare's Sources Online: Latin and Greek Authors www
Lists links to translations and texts of classical sources used by William Shakespeare. Shakespeare's Sources Online: Latin and Greek Authors.
- Resources Library of Congress Resources for Greek and Latin Classics www
Resources for studying Classical and Medieval literature. Library of Congress Resources for Greek and Latin Classics.
- Collection Classical Literature/Language at About.com www
Classical Literature/Language at About.com.
- Extensive Ancient History Sourcebook www
Extensive selection of links, History Sourcebook, study guides, and articles pertaining to the ancient Near East and ancient Mediterranean worlds, as well as some public domain translations of classical texts. At Fordham. Ancient History Sourcebook.
- From Text Tools and Lexica www
From The Perseus Project. Tools and Lexica. Includes an English/Greek Word Search, English/Latin Word Search, Liddell Scott-Jones Greek Lexicon, and Lewis and Short Latin Dictionary. Text Tools and Lexica.
- The Centre for the Study of Ancient Documents www
The Centre for the Study of Ancient Documents was established in 1995 under the auspices of Oxford University's Faculty of Literae Humaniores to provide a focus for the study of ancient documents in Oxford. Centre for the Study of Ancient Documents.
- Provides The Internet Classics Archive www
Provides 441 online works of classical literature with a powerful search facility. Internet Classics Archive. A booklist links directly to relevant pages in online bookshops. Classical trivia questions can be posted and answered. The Internet Classics Archive.
- A Classics Technology Center www
A repository of tools such as guides, Technology Center, games, and glossaries for educators and other classicists, to enhance the use of computer technology in classics education. Classics Technology Center.
- Essays, Studies in the Classics www
Essays, the Classics, texts, and studies on classical literature and language from Prof. William Harris of Middlebury College. Studies in the Classics.
- Book Internet Resources for Classical Studies www
Book reviews, Resources for Classical Studies, bibliography, and language, art, culture, and mythology links for students of antiquity. From Indiana University. Internet Resources for Classical Studies.
- An Diotima www
An interdisciplinary resource for the study of patterns of gender around the ancient Mediterranean and as a forum for collaboration among instructors who teach courses about women and gender in the ancient world. Diotima. Includes course materials, the beginnings of a systematic and searchable bibliography, and links to many on-line resources, including articles, book reviews, databases and images. Diotima.
- A Summer Courses in the Classics www
A list of classics courses offered during the summer by colleges and universities throughout the world, Courses in the Classics, sorted by discipline and subject of study. Summer Courses in the Classics.
- A Voice of the Shuttle: Classical Studies www
A large index of links to various classical history, the Shuttle: Classical Studies, art, archaeology, language and literature journals, texts, syllabi, forums, and other resources. From the University of California at Santa Barbara. Voice of the Shuttle: Classical Studies.
- Extensive Corinth Computer Project www
Extensive multimedia site incorporating historical, Computer Project, literary and archaeological information from Corinth, Greece during the Roman era. Suitable for scholars, students, and the public at large. Corinth Computer Project.
- The Stoa Consortium www
The Stoa Consortium provides a venue for the exploration of innovations in scholarly communication, Consortium, with a focus on Classics and Classical Archaeology. It hosts numerous classical electronic projects, guides to best practices, fora, a CVS and a weblog. Stoa Consortium.
- Frequently Classical Studies (humanities.classics) FAQ www
Frequently asked questions for the newsgroup humanities. Studies (humanities.classics) FAQ.classics. Includes bibliographies, glossaries and compendia of mythological characters. Maintenance ceased August 2000. Classical Studies (humanities.classics) FAQ.
- A Literary Resources www
A list of classical and Biblical-oriented websites maintained by a professor at Rutgers University. Literary Resources.
- Indexed Ancient Scripts of the World www
Indexed by region, Scripts of the World, with articles on writing systems, sounds and phonetics, historical linguistics, and related study materials. Ancient Scripts of the World.
- Portal Classics Unveiled www
Portal to three reference and resource sites for ancient Roman history, Unveiled, culture, and daily life; Greek mythology; and Latin vocabulary words. Classics Unveiled.
- Articles Torrey Philemon's Muses www
Articles on mythology and ancient Greek/Roman literature, Philemon's Muses, and resources. Torrey Philemon's Muses.
- Language Textkit www
Language learning site which provides free Greek and Latin grammars, Textkit, reading material, classical e-books and other learning resources and downloads. Textkit.
- Materials Alexandria on the Web www
Materials on the relationship between cosmology, the Web, philosophy, myth, and culture, sponsored by the Alexandria journal. Alexandria on the Web.
- Free Orange St. Press Classics www
Free classic literature in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). St. Press Classics. View online, download, print. Orange St. Press Classics.
- Learn Greek 'n' Stuff www
Learn biblical Greek or classical Latin. 'n' Stuff. Bible nuggets. Homeschool links/classical links/family pages. Greek 'n' Stuff.
- Images Maecenas: Images of Ancient Greece and Rome www
Images of Ancient Greece and Rome, Images of Ancient Greece and Rome, free for non-commercial download and use. Maecenas: Images of Ancient Greece and Rome.
- New Classics at Victoria University of Wellington www
New Zealand university site. Victoria University of Wellington. Information on undergraduate modules and Ph.D. scholarships. Links to other Classical sites, especially in New Zealand. Pictures from the department's collection of Classical artifacts. Staff details including research activities and personal pages. Classics at Victoria University of Wellington.
- An Wikipedia Classical Architecture www
An illustrated history and description of the architecture of ancient Greece and Rome. Wikipedia Classical Architecture.
- An Classical Orders of Architecture www
An illustrated description of the Doric, Orders of Architecture, Ionic and Corinthian orders from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. Classical Orders of Architecture.
- Ars The Catacombs of Rome www
Ars Mar Film describes the art of the Christian catacombs of Rome, Catacombs of Rome, which include frescoes, sculptures and inscriptions. The Catacombs of Rome.
- About Himmapan: www
About mythical creatures that exist in Asian legends. Himmapan:.
- Threaded, Archives of ANCIEN-L www
Threaded, ANCIEN-L, searchable text archive of the University of Louisville-sponsored scholarly discussion list on the history of the ancient Mediterranean. Archives of ANCIEN-L.
- A Thesaurus Linguae Graecae: Discussion Groups www
A directory of email discussion groups and listserv mailing lists concerning all aspects of Classics, Linguae Graecae: Discussion Groups, classics education, Greek and Latin language study, ancient history, archaeology, and related fields. Thesaurus Linguae Graecae: Discussion Groups.
- University Suksi, Aara www
University of Western Ontario faculty member; dissertation abstract, Aara, courses taught, research projects, and annotated links to resources. Suksi, Aara.
- Selected Pomoerium www
Selected Digitalized Publications by Ryszard Pankiewicz (Classics, Pomoerium, history, epigraphy) Pomoerium.
- The The Roman Empire www
The Roman Empire at its Greatest Extent The Roman Empire.
- A Ancient Atlas - About.com www
A collection of annotated links for online maps of the ancient world and from antiquity. Ancient Atlas - About.com.
- Alexa: Classical Studies Arts
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Classical Studies Arts
- DMOZ: Classical Studies Arts
dmoz.org Directory: Classical Studies Arts