Handspinning is the craft of creating yarn from fiber, by drawing the fibers out while twisting them. It can by accomplished using a spinning wheel treadled by foot or by hand, or using a drop or support spindle or even more primitive means. This section and its subcategories cover sites about handspinners, equipment, techniques, festivals and events, and types of fiber. Handspinning Textiles Crafts Arts.
Spinning is an ancient textile art in which plant, animal or synthetic fibres are drawn out and twisted together to form yarn. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Spinning is an ancient textile art in which plant, animal or synthetic fibres are drawn out and twisted together to form yarn. For thousands of years, fibre was spun by hand using simple tools, the spindle and distaff. It was only with the invention of the spinning wheel in India, and its subsequent introduction to Europe in the High Middle Ages, did the output of individual spinners dramatically increase. Mass production only arose in the 18th century with the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution. Hand-spinning remains a popular handicraft.
- Cotton mill - A cotton mill is a factory housing powered spinning or weaving machinery for the production of yarn or cloth from cotton, an important product during the Industrial Revolution when the early mills were important in the development of the factory system.
- Crochet - Crochet is a process of creating fabric by interlocking loops of yarn, thread, or strands of other materials using a crochet hook. The name is derived from the French term crochet, meaning 'small hook'.
- Kh?d? - Khadi or khaddar is handspun and hand-woven cloth from India, Bangladesh and Pakistan mainly made out of cotton.
- Knitting - Knitting is a method by which yarn is manipulated to create a textile or fabric for use in many types of garments.
- Loom - A loom is a device used to weave cloth and tapestry. The basic purpose of any loom is to hold the warp threads under tension to facilitate the interweaving of the weft threads. The precise shape of the loom and its mechanics may vary, but the basic function is the same.
- Magnetic ring spinning - Magnetic Ring Spinning, magnetic spinning, or innovative spinning is a ring spinning technology for making yarn based on magnetic levitation. This technique functions without a traveler sliding over the ring, enabling much higher spinning rates.
- History of the textile industry
- Dedicated Northeast Handspinners Association www
Dedicated to the art and craft of handspinning in northeast US. Handspinners Association. Events calendar, information on The Gathering sponsored conference. Northeast Handspinners Association.
- Programs Illinois Prairie Spinners www
Programs and other information about Illinois Prairie Spinners, Prairie Spinners, a handspinning guild that meets in the western suburbs of Chicago. Illinois Prairie Spinners.
- Discussions Yarnspinners Tales's Podcast www
Discussions of handspinning fiber, Tales's Podcast, equipment and technique plus a monthly Spin In with music and stories to spin along with. Yarnspinners Tales's Podcast.
- Social Modern History Sourcebook: The Loss of Woollen Spinning, 1794 www
Social observations on the loss of woollen spinning as a cottage industry in 1794 Modern History Sourcebook: The Loss of Woollen Spinning, 1794.
- Articles, SpinnySpinny www
Articles, SpinnySpinny, projects and resources on handspinning, weaving and fiber crafts, including the author's textile blog. SpinnySpinny.
- A Spinning Loft www
A teaching facility dedicated to the promotion of fiber arts. Loft. Information about classes, recommended equipment, and events at the farm. Spinning Loft.
- Fiber HJS Studio www
Fiber artist Holly Schaltz teaches contemporary interpretations of handspinning and handweaving. Studio. Includes class information, teacher biography and description of her process. HJS Studio.
- A Company of the Silver Spindle www
A Guild operating within the Society for Creative Anachronism. the Silver Spindle. Photo gallery, glossary of terms and a list if spinning deities. Company of the Silver Spindle.
- Periodical The Spinning Wheel Sleuth www
Periodical devoted to spinning wheels and related tools The Spinning Wheel Sleuth.
- A Spin Off www
A magazine devoted to all aspects of spinning. Off. Includes indexes of back issues and subscription information. Also other Interweave Press spinning information. Spin Off.
- Teacher Patsy Zawistoski www
Teacher and author offering information on her workshops, Zawistoski, videos for sale, and online help. Patsy Zawistoski.
- Description, Insects that Damage Wool www
Description, that Damage Wool, habits, and treatment of clothes moths and carpet beetles. Insects that Damage Wool.
- A Greater Los Angeles Spinning Guild www
A group of spinners whose members come to spinning from a variety of fiber arts. Los Angeles Spinning Guild. Event calendar, membership form, newsletters, tips and tricks. Greater Los Angeles Spinning Guild.
- Group An Tir: Spinners Guild www
Group of spinners operating in the context of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Tir: Spinners Guild. History, bibliography. An Tir: Spinners Guild.
- A Black Sheep Newsletter www
A quarterly for sheep growers and fiber enthusiasts. Sheep Newsletter. Table of contents of current issues, subscriptions, books and back issues. Black Sheep Newsletter.
- Ron List of Lists www
Ron Parker's compilation of subscription information and e-mail addresses for a wide variety of fiber-related e-mail lists. List of Lists.
- Show Minnesota Alpaca Expo www
Show schedule. Alpaca Expo. Skein competition and silent auction. Vendor information and exhibitor forms. Show results. Owatonna, Minnesota Minnesota Alpaca Expo.
- Festival Fall Fiber Festival & Montpelier Sheep Dog Trials www
Festival displaying sheep, Fiber Festival & Montpelier Sheep Dog Trials, alpaca, llamas, other fiber producing animals. Demonstrations, competitions, workshops, sheep dog trials. Vendor list and application. Montpelier Station, Virginia Fall Fiber Festival & Montpelier Sheep Dog Trials.
- Alpaca Lightfoot Farms www
Alpaca breeder offering a menu of prices on picking, Farms, carding, drafting, spinning, as well as yarn and finished goods. Lightfoot Farms.
- Custom Stonehedge Fiber Mill www
Custom spinning and processing producing rovings, Fiber Mill, batts or yarn. Also fiber evaluation, spinning and weaving services. Stonehedge Fiber Mill.
- Background Soybean Protein Fiber www
Background on this fiber produced from soybeans, Protein Fiber, describing the process. Soybean Protein Fiber.
- Origin, Wool: Navajo-Churro Sheep www
Origin, Navajo-Churro Sheep, history, characteristics and preservation of this rare breed. Breeder list. Published by Navajo-Churro Sheep Association. Wool: Navajo-Churro Sheep.
- Jim Hatchtown Farm www
Jim Child is dedicated to making fine wooden handspinning tools, Farm, from handspindles to niddy noddies to nostepindes. He also includes instructions on using some of the more unfamiliar tools. Hatchtown Farm.
- Cotswold Nistock Farms www
Cotswold and crossbred colored sheep, Farms, natural and dyed roving and raw spinning fleeces, yarn, sheepskins and Santa beard curls. Nistock Farms.
- Technical Washing Wool by Tom Beaudet www
Technical overview of properties of soap versus detergent, Wool by Tom Beaudet, scouring, felting, and fulling in textile mills. Washing Wool by Tom Beaudet.
- Contains Washing Fibers www
Contains directions for using washing machine or large tub. Washing Fibers.
- Dana Dana's Textile Travels www
Dana McCown shares pictures and notes from her travels to see traditional textiles around the world. Textile Travels. Also "guest traveller" submissions. Dana's Textile Travels.
- Journal Fiberarts - The Magazine of Textiles www
Journal of modern textile art. The Magazine of Textiles. Calendar, highlights, and subscription FAQ. Fiberarts - The Magazine of Textiles.
- Alexa: Handspinning Textiles
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Handspinning Textiles
- DMOZ: Handspinning Textiles
dmoz.org Directory: Handspinning Textiles