Literature of the Spanish and Portuguese-speaking peoples of North and South America and the Caribbean area. Its history, which originated in the 16th century in the time of the conquerors, falls roughly into four main periods. 1)Colonial, 2)Independence and National consolidation, 3)Modern and 4)Contemporary See also Arts-Literature for author or genre specific categories. Literatura de habla hispana y portuguesa procedente de Norteamérica, Sudamérica y el Caribe. Su historia se origina en el Siglo XVI, en la época de los conquistadores, y puede dividirse en, al menos, cuatro períodos 1) Colonial, 2) Independencia y consolidación Nacional 3) Moderno, 4) Contemporáneo. Latin American World Literature Literature Arts.
Latin America (occasionally referred to in writing by the portmanteau "LatAm" or "LATAM") is the group of countries and dependencies in the Americas where Romance languages are predominant. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Latin America is a group of countries and dependencies in the Western Hemisphere where Spanish, French and Portuguese are spoken; it is broader than the terms Ibero-America or Hispanic America. The term originated in the Napoleon III French government in the mid-19th century as Am rique latine to consider French-speaking territories in the Americas, along with the larger group of countries where Spanish and Portuguese languages prevailed, including the Spanish-speaking portions of the United States Today, areas of Canada and the United States where Spanish, French, and Portuguese are predominant are typically not included in definitions of Latin America.
- Latin America Category
- Latin Americans (Amerindians , Criollo , Afro-Latin American , Asian Latin American , Mestizos , Mulatto , White Latin American , Zambo ).
- Latin American studies - Latin American studies is an academic field dealing with the study of Latin America and Latin Americans.
- Agroecology in Latin America - Agroecology is an applied science that involves the adaptation of ecological concepts to the structure, performance, and management of sustainable agroecosystems.
- Latin America and the League of Nations
- Romance-speaking world - The Romance-speaking world, romanophone, neolatin world, or Latin-speaking world, is the part of the world where Romance languages are either official, co-official, or significantly used, comprising Latin America, Latin Europe, Romance-speaking Africa and Romance-speaking Asia.
- Latin Africa (United States of Latin Africa )
- Country classifications
- An The Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz Project www
An electronic edition of her complete works based on the text of Adolfo Méndez Plancarte and Alberto G. Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz Project. Salceda. The Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz Project.
- A Tiras cómicas latinoamericanas www
A sampling of Latin American comics, cómicas latinoamericanas, both Spanish and Portuguese, edited by Mark Rosenfelder. Tiras cómicas latinoamericanas.
- An First Light www
An Anthology of Paraguayan Women Writers translated to English by Susan Smith Nash. First Light.
- Index Complete Review of Latin and South American Literature www
Index of Latin and South American Literature under review, Review of Latin and South American Literature, organized by author, title, genre and national origin. Complete Review of Latin and South American Literature.
- The Change of Paradigm? www
The new Latin American theatre and the constitution of theatrical post modernity, Paradigm?, by Alfonso de Toro. Change of Paradigm?.
- A An archaeology of the Boom www
A resource page with related articles about the works of Jorge Luis Borges, archaeology of the Boom, Alejo Carpentier, Juan Rulfo, Carlos Fuentes, Julio Cortázar, Gabriel García Márquez and Manuel Puig. An archaeology of the Boom.
- Argentinean El Sur del Sur www
Argentinean literature history, Sur del Sur, from 1810 to 1990. El Sur del Sur.
- A Women in Latin American Literature www
A selected list of narrative, Latin American Literature, poetry, drama and criticism by Latin American women. Women in Latin American Literature.
- An Cervantes and the Modern Latin American Narrative www
An essay by Roberto González Echevarría examines how the Quijote has been re-written in Latin America and Cervantes as a figure of the author is more important than Don Quijote the character, and the Modern Latin American Narrative, in contrast to Spain. Cervantes and the Modern Latin American Narrative.
- A Latin American Literature at CSU www
A topic guide prepared by Joanne Gass, American Literature at CSU, Professor of English and Comparative Literature, California State University, Fullerton. Latin American Literature at CSU.
- An Tribute to Ruben Dario www
An extensive collection of poems by Ruben Dario. Tribute to Ruben Dario.
- A Famous Hispanic writers www
A short list of some famous Hispanic writers with their biographies and links to related pages. Famous Hispanic writers.
- Americanism Biblioteca Virtual Freyre www
Americanism and Latinity in Latin America: increasing interdependence and decreasing separateness, Virtual Freyre, an essay by Gilberto Freyre. Biblioteca Virtual Freyre.
- A SAmericaWriters group www
A virtual place for readers and writers interested in talking and trading information on South American writers. SAmericaWriters group.
- Ricardo Argentine Literature www
Ricardo Güiraldes's novel, Literature, "Don Segundo Sombra". Overview and a passage translated from Spanish to English language. Argentine Literature.
- Selected HFAC www
Selected Internet resources in the Literature of Spain and Portugal. HFAC.
- Overview Some Ghostly Tales from South America www
Overview of Magic Realists' short story art, Ghostly Tales from South America, written by Jessica Amanda Salmonson. Some Ghostly Tales from South America.
- Several Argentine Literature History www
Several web pages covering the period 1810-1990. Argentine Literature History.
- Several Anthology of Spanish Poetry www
Several poems and interesting information about Spanish grammar and phonetics. Anthology of Spanish Poetry.
- A Sincronia www
A semiotics of film and literary fiction: classic, Sincronia, modern, and postmodern. By Lauro Zavala, Universidad Autónoma de México, UAM Xochimilco, Mexico City. Sincronia.
- South Zeroland www
South American literature directory. Zeroland. Alphabetical listing of online literary resources organized by country and author name. Zeroland.
- "Offspring Ayvu Membyre www
"Offspring of the Distant World", Membyre, poetry in Guarani, Spanish and English by Susy Delgado. Ayvu Membyre.
- Contains Essays, Plays, Poems, and Translations www
Contains "Literature and Revolution" by Fernando Alegria. Plays, Poems, and Translations. An essay about the authenticity of experimentation, innovation and the revolutionary dynamism of existing Hispano American narrative. Essays, Plays, Poems, and Translations.
- Death Juan Rulfo, The Sound of Death www
Death as a fundamental element in Rulfian stories, Rulfo, The Sound of Death, an essay by Angie Galicia. Juan Rulfo, The Sound of Death.
- A Cesar Vallejo: the poet, the militant, the communist www
A short analysis of Cesar Vallejo's career and an interview done to Miguel Gutierrez Correa about the author. Cesar Vallejo: the poet, the militant, the communist.
- Based The Internet: a Latin American Province www
Based on his literary and cultural analysis, Internet: a Latin American Province, Roberto Hernández Montoya concludes that the Internet can be a Latin American province because its universal connections storm every frontier and place you everywhere and nowhere at the same time. The Internet: a Latin American Province.
- Guide Latin American Collection at Yale University www
Guide to Latin American bibliography, American Collection at Yale University, literature, linguistics, journals, and general studies, organized by country. Latin American Collection at Yale University.
- Selected Mexican and Latin American Literature www
Selected sources prepared by Laura M. and Latin American Literature. Boyer, CSU Stanislaus Library. Mexican and Latin American Literature.
- Overview The Projection of Peronism in the contemporary Argentinean Literature of the '80s www
Overview of her doctoral thesis realized by María José Punte, Projection of Peronism in the contemporary Argentinean Literature of the '80s, on Argentinean literature and the work of José Pablo Feinmann, Martín Caparrós, Jorge Andrade, Luisa Valenzuela, Carlos Gorostiza, Dalmiro Sáenz and Sergio Joselovsky. The Projection of Peronism in the contemporary Argentinean Literature of the '80s.
- Article Gaucho Literature www
Article that discusses the literature depicting life on the Pampas in Argentina from the 19th and early 20th century. Gaucho Literature.
- International The Guardian Hay Festival - Cartagena www
International literary festival offers program, Guardian Hay Festival - Cartagena, news and events, highlights, visitor information and archive. [English, Spanish] The Guardian Hay Festival - Cartagena.
- General International Poetry Festival of Medellín www
General information on the event including participants and schedule. Poetry Festival of Medellín. Includes overview of Prometeo Poetry Magazine and the Poetry School in Medellín. [English, Spanish] International Poetry Festival of Medellín.
- Interview 'Notice, It's Lo Cubano y la Poesía, not El Cubano': Writers Living the Nuance www
Interview with poet Cesar Lopez. 'Notice, It's Lo Cubano y la Poesía, not El Cubano': Writers Living the Nuance.
- Translations Miguel Barnet - Four poems www
Translations of four works by the modern poet and ethnographer. Miguel Barnet - Four poems.
- Library Hispanic Reading Room www
Library of Congress research center. Hispanic Reading Room.
- Women Las Mujeres www
Women poets, Mujeres, writers, painters, and singers from Latin America and the United States. Las Mujeres.
- Discussion Gabriel García Márquez and Magical Realism www
Discussion of Spanish-language magical realism, García Márquez and Magical Realism, particularly in the work of Garcia Marquez. Gabriel García Márquez and Magical Realism.
- Article Young Mexican writers bid farewell to magical realism www
Article on the influence of magic realism and the trend away from the style in Mexico. Young Mexican writers bid farewell to magical realism.
- Bob NPR : Mexican Author Carlos Fuentes www
Bob Edwards interviews Mexican author Carlos Fuentes about his new book, Mexican Author Carlos Fuentes, Inez. Some interesting links related to the book. NPR : Mexican Author Carlos Fuentes.
- Poetry Amparo Jiménez www
Poetry collection and reviews. Jiménez. [English/Spanish] Amparo Jiménez.
- Working Words Without Borders www
Working to promote international communication through translation of the world's best writing. Words Without Borders.
- A Bartleby.com: The Harvard Classics Shelf of Fiction www
A 20-volume set comprising works by 30 authors from 7 national literatures. The Harvard Classics Shelf of Fiction. Features novels and short stories with biographical and critical introductions. Bartleby.com: The Harvard Classics Shelf of Fiction.
- Alexa: Latin American World Literature
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Latin American World Literature
- DMOZ: Latin American World Literature
dmoz.org Directory: Latin American World Literature