Machinima is a portmanteau of machine cinema, it is both a collection of associated production techniques and a film genre defined by those techniques. As a production technique, the term concerns the rendering of computer-generated imagery (CGI) using real-time, interactive (usually game) 3D engines. Engines from first-person shooter and role-playing simulation video games are typically used. Consequently, the rendering is done in real-time using PCs (either using the computer of the creator or the viewer), rather than with complex 3D engines. As a film genre, the term refers to movies created by the techniques described above. Usually, machinima productions are produced using the tools (demo recording, camera angle, level editor, script editor, etc. Machinima Film Formats Filmmaking Movies Arts.
The practice of using graphics engines from video games arose from the animated software introductions of the 1980s demoscene, Disney Interactive Studios ' 1992 video game Stunt Island , and 1990s recordings of gameplay in first-person shooter (FPS) video games, such as id Software 's Doom and Quake . (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Machinima is the use of real-time computer graphics engines to create a cinematic production. Most often video games are used to generate the computer animation.
- Machinima Category
- Computer animation - Computer animation is the process used for generating animated images. The more general term computer-generated imagery encompasses both static scenes and dynamic images, while computer animation only refers to the moving images.
- Computer-generated imagery - Computer-generated imagery is the application of computer graphics to create or contribute to images in art, printed media, video games, films, television programs, shorts, commercials, videos, and simulators.
- 3DMM - 3D Movie Maker is a program created by Microsoft Kids in 1995. Using this program, users are able to place 3D characters into pre-made environments, add actions, sound effects, music, text, speech, and special effects. Movies are saved in the 3D Movie formats: ".3mm" and ".vmm".
- Emergent gameplay
- Film styles
- Works based on video games
- Animation technology
- Amateur SolidSnake4444 Productions www
Amateur production group showcasing their films. SolidSnake4444 Productions.
- Creators Strange Company www
Creators of Ozymandias and developers of several free production tools. Strange Company.
- Creators Chiefmobile Productions www
Creators of the Zombiebusters comedy series. Productions. Member list, videos, and forum. Chiefmobile Productions.
- Comedy Tales From Fiddler's Green www
Comedy video based on the Halo 3 game engine. Tales From Fiddler's Green.
- Comedy Spriggs: a Halo 3 Machinima www
Comedy series created by Running Gun LLC. Spriggs: a Halo 3 Machinima.
- Includes Machinima.com www
Includes downloads, Machinima.com, news, articles, hosting of movies, and introductions to the format. Machinima.com.
- Social Koinup www
Social network based around game screenshots and virtual stories. Koinup.
- A ILL Clan Machinima www
A collective of 3D artists, Clan Machinima, filmmakers and improvisational comedians creating animated episodic shows using the process. ILL Clan Machinima.
- Weblog 3DFilmMaker.com www
Weblog by filmmaker Ken Thain. 3DFilmMaker.com. Contains pointers to a selection of films on the web. 3DFilmMaker.com.
- PDF Machinimag www
PDF archives of articles from 2004 to 2005. Machinimag.
- Producers Rooster Teeth Productions www
Producers of the series Red Vs Blue, Teeth Productions, The Strangehood and P.A.N.I.C.S. Rooster Teeth Productions.
- Creators Edgeworks Entertainment www
Creators of the Heretic series. Edgeworks Entertainment.
- Collecting FCLS Film-Center www
Collecting 8, Film-Center, 16, and 35mm film and information on how to care for, store, project, and collect film. FCLS Film-Center.
- Stills Nine Five Movies www
Stills from Pathescope 9. Five Movies.5mm films. Nine Five Movies.
- Alexa: Machinima Film Formats
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Machinima Film Formats
- DMOZ: Machinima Film Formats
dmoz.org Directory: Machinima Film Formats