The term Folk Music has come to encompass a wide variety of styles, traditional and contemporary, based mainly on the musical roots and traditions of Europe. It includes: Regional and ethnic traditional musics of the continent, performed by people for and within their own community, passed on and evolving through live performance. Recorded collections of the aural tradition. Composed songs and music which have become so well known that they can be said to have "entered the tradition," and are evolving through repeated performance. Interpretations of the tradition, using different vocal styles and instrumentation. Maintainers and interpreters of European traditional musics in diaspora communities of North America and Australasia. Folk F Styles Music Arts.
- Folk music Folk music includes both traditional music and the genre that evolved from it during the 20th...
- Folklore The expressive body of culture shared by a particular group of people; it encompasses the...
- Folk rock A music genre combining elements of folk music and rock music.
- People A plurality of persons considered as a whole, as is the case with an ethnic group or nation.
- Folk culture The unifying expressive components of everyday life as enacted by localized, tradition-bound groups.
- Folk art Folk art encompasses art produced from an indigenous culture or by peasants or other laboring...
- Folk metal A fusion genre of heavy metal music and traditional folk music that developed in Europe during...
- Folk punk A fusion of folk music and punk rock.
- Folk dance Folk dances are dances that are developed by people that reflect the life of the people of a...
- Folk religion Folk religion, alongside popular religion and vernacular religion, are terms used within...
- Folk taxonomy A vernacular naming system, and can be contrasted with scientific taxonomy.
- The Blues Foundation www
Producer of the W. Blues Foundation.C. Handy Blues Awards, the Blues Hall of Fame, the Lifetime Achievement Awards and the Int. Blues Talent Competition
- Resources Traditional Music Pages www
Resources for people interested in traditional music; includes instrument tutorials, Music Pages, tune collections, session listings, profiles of Scottish performers, and a bibliography. Traditional Music Pages.
- Celebrates Tree Light Music Page www
Celebrates traditional music; includes articles on playing the button accordion, Light Music Page, learning music in sessions, and some resources on Irish and Greek music. Tree Light Music Page.
- Scottish Foxy Music www
Scottish agency representing Folk, Music, Blues, Roots and Americana artists. Foxy Music.
- Full Iconic Music www
Full information, Music, biographies and concert dates for a roster of Folk artists. Includes photos and links. Iconic Music.
- The Folk Blues and Beyond www
The performers and their music in London of the 60's. Blues and Beyond. Includes biographies and discographies of Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Davey Graham, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Roy Harper and Jackson C Frank. Folk Blues and Beyond.
- A BBC Radio 2: A to Z Artist Database www
A database of folk and acoustic artists, Radio 2: A to Z Artist Database, with profiles, audio clips and weblinks. BBC Radio 2: A to Z Artist Database.
- The The Pickin' Porch www
The Pickin' Porch is a weekly two-hour Bluegrass and Old-Time music show hosted by "Your Bluegrass Buddy" Tim White. The Pickin' Porch.
- SPBGMA Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America www
SPBGMA has an annual convention and seeks to preserve the traditional spirit and art form of bluegrass. for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America. Festival calendar, events, news, SPBGMA awards, multimedia, artist and business links, and how to join. Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America.
- Broadening Early Blues Website www
Broadening awareness and understanding of the origins of blues music and encouraging and supporting live blues music. Blues Website. Features essays, articles, images and a chronology of the blues. Early Blues Website.
- Dutch Ouwejan, Kees and Makkers www
Dutch folk band, Kees and Makkers, playing music from a range of traditions. Includes member profiles and sound samples. (Dutch and English) Ouwejan, Kees and Makkers.
- Play Hoven Droven www
Play their own variety of Swedish folk music. Droven. Contains news, images, videos and mp3s, discography and tour information. Hoven Droven.
- A Cajun Radio and Zydeco Radio Guide www
A guide to Cajun and Zydeco radio programs in the United States. Radio and Zydeco Radio Guide. Also featuring a link guide to Cajun and Zydeco culture, genealogy, festivals, regional dance newsletters, bands, dance instructors and music. Cajun Radio and Zydeco Radio Guide.
- Promoting The Cajun-Zydeco Connection of Huntsville www
Promoting live Cajun and Zydeco music, Cajun-Zydeco Connection of Huntsville, dances, dance instruction and the culture of Southwest Louisiana in the North Alabama area. Includes event listings, photographs, and links. The Cajun-Zydeco Connection of Huntsville.
- Alexa: Folk
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Folk
- DMOZ: Folk
dmoz.org Directory: Folk